Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I Need A Mountain Fix!

It takes a lot of guts for a man to speak the truth in love to another man. And a friend verbally smacked me down last night. I needed it. This blog has been taking a direction that is becoming less and less inspirational, and more and more negative. And that is because I have been feeling more and more tired, uninspired, and generally negative. That is a pretty strange phenomenon for being only a few days away from my wedding, huh?

I need a fix. And I’ll get it next week. People have various ways to “fill their tank” and “sharpen the saw”. My drug of choice: the mountains. And next week I’ll be in the beautiful Cascades in the Pacific Northwest at a private secluded cottage.

Ironically, God feels the same way. Mountains have played a prominent role throughout the Bible. The ark of Noah came to rest on a mountain. Lot and his daughters went to live in the mountains. Moses went up on a mountain to spend quality time with God. David went for protection from a raging Saul to the mountains. Elijah heard the still small voice on a mountain. There are famous mountains like Horeb, Sinai, and Zion sprinkled through the Old Testament. Jesus went up on a mountain to pray many times. And when Satan wanted to tempt him, where did he take him? To a high mountain. When John saw the New Jerusalem coming down out of heaven, where was he? Yep! You got it.

One of the Seven Angels who had carried the bowls filled with the seven final disasters spoke to me: "Come here. I'll show you the Bride, the Wife of the Lamb." He took me away in the Spirit to an enormous, high mountain and showed me Holy Jerusalem descending out of Heaven from God, resplendent in the bright glory of God. Revelation 21:9-12 (The Message)

So I’ll post when I get back. And hopefully my words will reveal a new power, contentment, rest, and peace that I will find in the presence of my new bride and on the top of a mountain. The mountains are my drug, my fix, my refreshment.

And thank you J-Dawg for your brutally honest words! The wounds of a friend are better than the kisses of an enemy. I appreciate it. I am not going to delete the post we discussed because it was honest, raw, and the way I felt at the time. Will it come back to bite me? Probably! But I can never be accused of not being honest and speaking my mind.
So blog reader, what about you? Do you need a fix? Or are you running on all eight cylinders and doing just fine? Can friends sense a loss of joy and power in your life? If so, I suggest you get back to where you were when you were at your best. And of course, I'll always recommend a trip to a mountain.

2 comments:

  1. Post Script: I got my mountain fix! And it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete