Monday, April 23, 2007

Pants On Fire!

It’s confession time! I told a lie the other day and it has really been bothering me ever since. I am not sure why I did it. It wasn’t one of those big lies that gets a person out of a major jam or keeps them out of jail. It wasn’t even one of those “little white lies” that will keep the peace in a family like telling your wife those pants don’t make her butt look big or that the burned meatloaf really does taste good. It wasn’t the type of lie we always tell like answering an officer who pulls you over for speeding if you knew how fast you were going. I lied to Time Warner Cable. I moved from a location recently and they asked me when I moved out. I fudged the date two weeks. I profited only two dollars by doing it and have been feeling like a total worm ever since. In the same week that I filed my taxes being totally honest, I lost my integrity on something so inconsequential.

Maybe it is because I know God’s take on lying.
“The LORD detests lying lips, but he delights in men who are truthful.” Proverbs 12:22

“There are six things the LORD hates, no, seven things he detests: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that kill the innocent, a heart that plots evil, feet that race to do wrong, a false witness who pours out lies, a person who sows discord in a family.” Proverbs 6:16-19
Two of the seven things that God hates involve speaking lies. The King James Version calls them an “abomination” before God. He takes lying very seriously. And I have done it in small amounts almost all of my life. Why? Was it because I came from an abusive family where we were taught from a very young age to lie? Or is there a more sinister reason?

We get to make a choice in this world whom we are going to pattern our actions after. The God of this world (Satan) has a character of pure deception.
“For you are the children of your father the devil, and you love to do the evil things he does. He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies.” John 8:44
Does it mean that saying we feel great when we really feel horrible, or telling a friend that business is awesome when it really stinks are not “good lies”? A lie is a lie. And God our Father wants us to pattern ourselves after his character of truth.
“God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged.” Hebrews 6:18
Did you get that? It is impossible for God to lie! Impossible! So he takes it seriously when his children start acting like the father of lies instead of like their Creator Father who loves them and cannot lie. Jesus spoke a lot about truth ands how it sanctifies us. Paul even admonished us to speak the truth in love.
“Words kill, words give life; they're either poison or fruit—you choose.” Proverbs 18:21 (The Message)
So I’m going to try my best to speak the truth in everything I say from now on. Just don’t ask me if you have bad breath or if you are a good driver…


1 comment:

  1. Well "Push It Real Good", obviously I am not willing to publish your initial comments on this post because of the language and the personal name you used. If you want to rephrase your question, and tone it down without the profanity, I will gladly publish it...and answer your questions.

    It reminds me of a man I was going to do a Saturday afternoon conference call for. He had written all these e books that never existed. Actually, neither did he or his phoney company. Lies are deception are EVERYWHERE, aren't they Dreamer?

    Incidentally, was that the same language you used leading people to Jesus on Bourbon Street?

    ReplyDelete