Sunday, March 04, 2007

In Praise of a Real God Warrior

This Blog post will probably get me in trouble. First of all because it will seem like I am throwing a lady who calls herself “God Warrior” under the bus. I really am not. I just want to make a point. If you don’t know whom I am talking about, here is a brief explanation of this unusual sister in Christ. And remember, she is the one who agreed to go on national television representing our kingdom, so I guess discussing her appearance is fair game.

There is a show in prime time called “Wife Swap” where they get wives to swap houses for a period of time and live with a different family. The producers of the show relish in getting ladies from drastically different lives to exchange families. Honestly, I have never actually seen the show myself because I just don’t want to put that kind of pop culture trash into my mind. I wonder how many of the people who invested an hour in “Wife Swap” actually read the Bible or prayed an hour that day. But anyway, there was a lady from a Christian family who swapped houses with a pagan wife. Talk about a golden opportunity to shed some light and love into a house that desperately needs the truth of Jesus Christ. I was glad that they sent a “God warrior”, until I saw this clip. Hang in there all five minutes if you can.


What a shame! That was a golden opportunity to do some real ministry and spiritual warfare instead of trying to scream the devil out. And look how encouraged and inspired her own family felt after her glorious arrival back home! Now she is a celebrity.

There was a great quote I learned from the Dale Carnegie Course that said: “What you ARE speaks so loud I can hardly hear what you are saying”.
And Jesus said it best this way:

“You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” Matthew 5:14-16 (New Living Translation)

I wondered if anyone would want to become a Christian based on an encounter with “God warrior”. And then I had to take a long, honest look in the mirror and ask the same question about ME.

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” Mahatma Gandhi


Self test time.

When people who do not know Christ spend time around me, do they want what I have?

Do People want to give glory to God based on the good works that I do which they see in me and through me?

Do people see enough love in me to truly know that I am a disciple of Jesus?

Even if I call myself a “warrior” do people see the power in me that can accomplish much and the faith in me that can move mountains?

Do my words encourage and administer grace to the hearer?

Will people want to know more about Jesus based upon my representation of him?


I was walking through downtown Dallas yesterday and came upon some street preachers at a train station. They were bellowing out the “good news” at the top of their lungs. It made me wonder if they ever do any good. Then two small Hispanic girls came up to me and struck up a conversation. They asked me if there was anything that I wanted them to pray for me about. They both radiated love and life in a big way. Of course I’ll take as much prayer as I can get, so I told them “yes”. Boy oh boy, you should have heard the prayers of the one girl who was in charge. She was as strong and knowledgeable as any Christian I have ever heard pray. She was a true “God warrior”. There was no yelling, screeching, victimization, or showmanship. There were just the prayers of a young girl who knew her God and knew how to pray effectively. She blew me away.

I have absolutely no idea who she was or where she was from. But I knew I wanted what she had to offer!

May God bless her for being a true city on a hill.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:42 PM

    Dude... this is EXACTLY what I've been talking on my Blog www.genout.com

    When I was in Mardi Gras the wife swap woman was the type of Christian that all the people are down there running from. It's the one they all expect, and I swear I think that's a weapon of the enemy.

    I had to Call my pastor and ask if the word Christian was even IN the Bible.

    Your posts always rock in so many ways, bro. Go check out my meager beginnings on www.genout.com and don't forget to say hi.

    Love ya man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course it is quite obvious that the lady's behavior is not Christ like...but i wonder what the cause is.After all, she seems to talk about God with some sort of conviction and i guess she believes in God too.But what went wrong?Cant figure it out.
    I have bookmarked your blog.Heard about it from Paul Darby.
    Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:01 AM

    Robin and Jeremy thank you for your commments.

    Robin, you are exactly right. I believe that she is a believer, but might have some issues that she needs to look at. But then again, DON'T WE ALL?

    Jeremy, I believe that if we were more REAL to nonbelievers, we would have more "God appointments".

    Ruth 2:12 to you both.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:57 AM

    Wow. Unfortunately she took on the influence she was surrounded in ... instead of spilling out what should have been a very powerful anointing and leaving the influence of the Holy Spirit to minister to that family.

    What a shame. A lot could have been accomplished had she been a true warrior of God... and been prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After watching both the videos of God Warrior's return home and her performance on J.Leno's show, then reading the other Mom's letter and GW's reply to it on GW's website forum, I felt distressed. It appears GW alienated the other woman's husband right from the beginning and rather forgot to "hate the sin but love the sinner". If you are truly called to a mission for the Lord, you are able to love those who don't know Him and tolerate uncomfortable situations in His strength.
    My view of God Warrior's motives is that she planned to create for the media a situation of sensationalism, which is exactly what they look for from reality shows. By the faces of her family, I'm inclined to think they weren't in on the plan but maybe they are better actors than I give them credit for. You have to admit, her rant got her noticed AND made her quite famous. Maybe someday, after the fame fades, she will look back and see that she left her witness for Christ back there on the threshhold when she returned home......or a week earlier when she left on her "mission".
    Do I blow it sometimes? Oh, yes! God help us if we judge too harshly but "by their fruits ye shall know them".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... sometimes it takes situations like these for us to take a good look in the mirror.

    In my opinion, I see a person here who seems to have an overwhelming fear of the darkside. The bad news is, I didn't see any confidence or strength in God to overcome that. Isn't that one of the most important things in walking the Christian walk?

    Some people say this makes for good television. Then again, those same people are the reason why there is nothing worth while to watch on TV anymore.

    It's a good thing we have people like Steve Foss, to inspire and encourage us. You're the best.

    ReplyDelete